Inspiration Button Interiors Button Pick of the Day

Thursday, August 27, 2015

DIY: Stained Wooden Crates

I have a slight obsession for vintage wooden crates. The ones in the picture of the above are amazing and could be used for so many different things. They look artsy when they're stacked up on top of each other in the corner of the room. I love imagining my room full of crates and flower blooms in them or vintage coke bottles. The crates can also be practical. One of my favorite uses for them is for holding shoes and out-of-season clothing! It's better to store stuff in the wooden crates instead of some boring plastic bin. It's hard to find bins like the ones above without spending at least $30 at a vintage flea market. I think I've discovered how to find a cheap replica of something as classic as a vintage crate.

Heres a picture of a normal wooden crate from Home Depot. You can find plain ones like this for about ten dollars at stores like Home Depot, Walmart, Joann Fabrics, IKEA, etc. They are very sturdy and work well! Unfortunately they just look plain and they don't give them same vintage, worn-in look.  
This wood stain is all it takes to make your brand new wood look worn in. This stain is a random brand that I found online but stains in a small bottle shouldn't be more than about five dollars. Save like fifty dollars on buying a couple of crates by just staining them yourself!

Here are some pictures of my results. I bought plain colored crates today from Joann Fabrics. All you have to do is pour on the stain and rub it into the wood with paper towels. It only takes about thirty minutes to let air dry! But be careful because it stains everything it touches! Enjoy your vintage wooden crates!



Here are some pictures of some rooms that have successfully decorated with wooden crates for your inspiration! 

Follow me on Pinterest for more Interior posts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment